Do you freak out a bit when the power goes out for more than 20 minutes at your house? If so, chances are you might not be prepared in the case of disaster. We get so busy with our lives; it’s easy to put off doing a little prepping for disasters and the unexpected. But you can change all that with these simple tips you can take action on today.
A little planning goes a long way especially when it comes to disasters. Take a second to read through this list and get prepared and get some peace of mind. Although there are many ways of preparing for disasters, your family could prepare a disaster plan where everything from escape routes and emergency communication can be discussed. However, the most important thing in this disaster plan should be the family’s disaster kit.
By design, a disaster kit should be able to help you survive until help is at hand or until the disaster has abated. In case of floods (where you could be confined inside your home), a disaster kit should be able to provide for food and source of power while waiting for help; during earthquakes, power lines could be severed so your kit should be able to bridge those few days that you are without electricity. Your disaster kit is there for your survival.
But what’s IN a disaster supplies kit? Take a pen and paper and start jotting down:
1. The most basic necessities during a disaster are: water, food, supplies for first aid and sanitation, extra clothes and beddings.
2. Keep in mind that the best time frame for any disaster kit would be AT LEAST 72 hours. So when you are planning for food that you would include in your kit, you should always multiply that by three.
3. Remember to put the necessary supplies inside an easy to carry bag (a backpack or duffle bag will do). The key here is for you to be able to get it immediately during a disaster and to carry it around with you if you have to.
4. For water: Remember to buy bottled water in advance. They are the safest and the easiest to carry. Keep in mind that different people have varying needs for water. For mothers who are still nursing their children, people who are ill or even children all have varying needs. Remember also that when the weather is hot or humid, the body would need more water so better be prepared for it.
5. For food: Keep in mind that what you should bring with you are non-perishable foods. Store at least a 3-day supply of the following: canned meat or vegetables, canned soup or juices, salt, sugar, pepper (if you must), vitamins, and foods that provide energy (energy bars!). If you have kids in your family, better bring cookies and candies, too.
6. For your first aid supplies: Better bring bandages and gauze in different sizes, tweezers, scissors, wet towelletes, needle, any brand of antiseptic, thermometer, petroleum jelly, latex gloves and soap. It is also advisable to include non-prescription medicines such as aspirin, antacid, anti-diarrhea drugs and laxatives.
7. Sanitation provisions include: toilet papers, soap, garbage bags, disinfectant, chlorine and personal hygiene supplies.
8. Regarding clothing, it is necessary for each person to have at least one set of clothes and shoes (for one change). If you would need heating (and the disaster has severed that, too), then you could include a jacket and some bedding for each family member.
9. One very small but very important tool is a Swiss Army knife. This has everything that you would need during a calamity. With this, it is highly important to also bring spare batteries for your radio or TV.
Together with all the above, be sure to know some items that are not in the list but are necessary for some members of the family such as: nursing formula for infants, feeding bottles, diapers, medications, and important personal documents. For the documents, be sure that they are kept in a durable plastic envelope, plastic bag or plastic container.
These are the most basic and absolutely the most important things that you should include in your disaster kit. When you have put them all in your bag, be sure to store them in a place where you have easy access even during emergencies. Remember, be prepared in advance to lessen the panic!
Nothing beats the thrill of collecting things you are interested in. Finding that rare, sought after piece that you’ve been looking for never gets old. If you need some ideas of things to collect, check out this list of 5.
People collect objects for different reasons. Either they have an interest in that certain object or it means something to them. Whatever the reason, people consider this hobby to be fun, and it gives them pleasure.
– Bottle collecting has been a popular hobby since the 1970s. The bottles that people collect range from beverage bottles to medicine bottles. Many times these bottles are considered to be unusable, but much of the joy is in finding new items to add to the collection.
2. Antique Toys
– Often times collectors collect the toys from their childhood because it brings back memories, or because they really enjoyed that toy when they were younger. Antique collecting is one of the oldest hobbies. When collecting antiques, you need to know that you can’t just leave them on shelves without taking care of them properly. Despite this responsibility, this hobby is a lot of fun.
– Collecting marbles is a very unique hobby because of the different elements of beauty within each different marble. Everyone has a different preference to the look of the marble that they collect, as there’s such a variety available. This specific collecting hobby is fun and offers you knowledge upon collecting each new marble.
– Stamp collecting gives you a wide knowledge and effective means of communicating with other people. When collecting things like stamps, you are given the opportunity to travel around the world. When traveling to those new places, you meet new people who will leave an impact on your life and vice versa.
It is said that when collecting stamps you should ensure that they are in good condition. However, if you want your stamps to show some age, don’t feel obliged to follow what people say. A stamp that is in good condition is said to have perfect centering, perfect gum, and brilliant color.
– Many people collect pieces of jewelry that are unique and one of a kind. People are drawn to collecting jewelry because of the creativity, imagination, and relaxation it brings to a person. Once getting a rare piece of jewelry, collectors will often want to gain some knowledge of the piece of jewelry they possess, including finding out about the history of the specific piece of art.
Collecting hobbies do amazing things for you as a human. For most people, collecting is a lot like an adventure that is never quite complete. Searching for antique things or objects that mean something to the collector brings a feeling of joy and happiness to a person.
Remember that when collecting, you don’t have to collect a certain type of something just because a majority of people do. Collect the things that make you most happy.